Much ado about Borax

This is a photo of natural borax crystals from California. - Aramgutang, wikipedia.org
Aramgutang, wikipedia.org
Lately the topic of borax has come up. What is it? Borax is a naturally occurring boron compound, a mineral and a salt of boric acid.  It is 100% natural and 99.5% pure (there is about a half of 1% of naturally occurring trace minerals). There is nothing added. It is removed from the ground, washed, dried, and boxed or bagged for consumers.

Where is borax found? Boron, named after the element boron, is the location of the world's largest source of the boron compound boric acid. Boron is home to the US Borax Boron Mines, California's largest open-pit mine, which is also the largest borax mine in the world. It is also Home to 20 Mule Team Borax. I remember driving by Boron and seeing piles and piles of borax. Yes, I used to live in the Mojave Desert. My husband really appreciates the beauty of desert areas but I cannot say that I share the same appreciation. 


Borax is not to be confused with boric acid, which is used as a pesticide. However, I have successfully used borax for getting rid of fleas and I have heard it is great for getting rid of ants as well.  Is it safe or not? I feel completely comfortable using it. I would use gloves when using it. I can be irritating to your skin. I am not sure if it is the chemical composition or the shape of the particles. I have notice that 20 Mule Team is now made in a small bead form. This type won't help you get rid of fleas. I have saved some of the old powdered form just in case the need should ever arise.

Here are some of the many uses for borax
  •        Carpet cleaning
  •      Laundry
  •         Fruit Trees
  •         Toilet bowl cleaner
  •         Pest
  •         Flea Killer
  •         Mice deterrent
  •         Preserving flowers
  •         Violin String Saver
  •         Cleaning cookware
  •         Deodorizer
  •         Show, tub and tile
  •         Rust removal
  •        Sink cleaner 

If you feel like you need more info to decide if borax is something you feel comfortable using in your beauty and laundry products, Crunchy Betty has a great blog post with more specific information.

Comments

  1. I LOVE BORON! I have been to their Borax museum (at the mine) probably six or seven times and am always AMAZED. Have you been? The mine is... amazing. It's just amazing.

    Thanks for reminding me how wonderful boron is! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, I just found out they had a museum. I would have stopped by and taken the kids because it sounds very interesting. I am definitely going on my next "kids, this is where we come" from trip.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts