Roux the Day!


Can you believe I grew up without Gumbo, absolutely gumbo-less? Both of my parents are from New York and even though their parents are from Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, no gumbo. My Georgian grandmother, who was a cook, never cooked it, never talked about it and I am not quite sure if she had ever eaten it. However, my husband’s father, from Oklahoma makes a great gumbo. I know, we all know people who "think" they make a great gumbo, but his really is rather tasty.

So my husband, Mr. Let’s make our own lotion, is now Mr. Let's make some gumbo. Well the only thing I know about gumbo is that you need to start with a roux. I can't make a roux, I'm afraid! All I have ever heard is that you will burn the roux, you'll burn the roux. Even with visions of pans full of burnt roux in my head, I persevered.


So, this is my very first roux.  It's a medium or copper penny roux, came out absolutely perfect the first time.  I was very surprised after hearing all of the roux horror stories. I thought I would be over the stove for hours and hours, stirring, and stirring and stirring.  It was not that serious.  My roux advice would be: keep the heat low and stay in the kitchen.  Now you too, can roux the day!

BTW the gumbo was pretty good, for Yankee gumbo.

Comments

Popular Posts