Fry me up some chicken.

Lucy’s Friend Chicken at 2218 College Ave. offers homemade friend chicken from owner and chef James Holmes’ grandmother’s recipe. (RALPH BARRERA / AMERICAN-STATESMAN)

In honor of national Fried Chicken Day, what else could I blog about besides fried chicken. No I will not be making a chicken fat soap. I am sure it's delightful but I think I will pass. Who doesn't like fried chicken, other than my teen-age daughters when they go through those "Oh, I don't eat fried chicken" stages? Can you feel me rolling my eyes? Fried chicken just reminds you of childhood and home. 

My mother is just not that into cooking but the one thing she can cook is fried chicken and surprisingly fried rice...she once receive a Chinese cookbook as a gift. Her go to meal is fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn or green beans. Mostly corn because when I was a child I would not eat green beans. I had absolutely convinced myself I would die if I did. I have since worked out those issues.

My mother learned how to make chicken from my grandmother, who thankfully cooked most of my meals. She loved to cook and continued to cook long past the time that it was still safe. There are many ways to fry a chicken; batter, buttermilk soaked, salt and sugar brined...my Nanny never did any of that. She simply seasoned dry chicken parts. Shook them in seasoned flour in a brown paper bag and fried them in a cast iron skillet. It was the best chicken that I’ve ever had.

Who made your favorite fried chicken?

Comments

Popular Posts